Thursday, January 5, 2012

I am a ninja


Most mothers are. This morning, I had to be particularly ninja-like though. The baby(as cute as she is), was awake on and off through the night, crying, tossing, and turning. While she didn't require my assistance, she was restless. I knew that when my alarm went off at 5:25 this morning, and she was already up crying, that it was going to be tough to sneak out of the house. Tough, but hopefully not impossible.

I was scheduled for a 4.1 mile run. I HAD to get it done. I am ashamed to admit that yesterday morning, I slept in. I pushed snooze once, then twice, then turned the damn thing off. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed. I haven't missed many of my early morning workouts, and it really throws me off when I do. Missing a morning workout means missing my alone time for the day. The time when I don't have to do anything for anyone else but myself. My time to be alone with my thoughts, my time for ME. I usually get to shower alone too, and occasionally I even get a cup of coffee halfway drunk and breakfast started. These are the mornings I cherish the most. I love to sit down at the table when the house is silent, and just sip my coffee(well, milk and sugar with a bit of coffee for flavor).

So, back to my ninja-like antics. The baby is sleeping in the den. She is an AWFUL sleeper, always has been. The only problem with her sleeping int he den, is that the den is right next to the front door. In other words, if I tried to sneak out the front door, I would be caught. I got dressed in the bathroom, and used my cellphone flashlight to tiptoe into the kitchen to get keys. My lovely husband had kindly suggested that I go out through the garage door, as to not awake the momentarily silent smallest kidlet. Because of the past few runs, where I totally hit a wall, I had decided that a cup of milk before my run would help(it did, yay!). That required passing the sleeping monster. Successfully accomplished though. I grabbed the keys(of course we keep them in a metal dish, which sounded 100 times louder in the silent house). I also managed to sneak up to the sen, and silently close the door. I hardly breathed as my hand touched the knob. Whew! Now, down the hallway, and out the garage door. I breathed a sigh of relief as I stuck the key in the knob to re lock the deadbolt, almost out safely. Out the side garage door I went, into the semi cloudy blackness of the night. Side door locked. I smiled. Mission accomplished. Out of the house without waking the baby. I turned on my Runkeeper app, and silently started my run, with the screams of an angry baby echoing in the distance. Thank goodness for such a supportive husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment